16th September 2018
15th September 2018
£7.00 - £14.00
Butser Hill at 889’ is the highest point on the South Downs, overlooking the town of Petersfield and is the natural heart of the South Downs National Park.
Part of the Queen Elizabeth Country Park, Butser Hill is set close to the A3 road and the railway line which runs from London to Portsmouth, It has, since the iron age, been an important landmark in Southern England, whilst acting as a historic signalling point for sending messages to and from the capital.
Founded in 1978 as one of the first major - and toughest - mass runs, this event pre-dated the first London Marathon and was well before both the Great North Run and Great South Run. It has raised in excess of £200,000 for charities over the years.
- In 2012 the event raised in excess of £5,500 for the MND Association
- In 2013 the event raised in excess of £4,000 for Home-Start Butser
- In 2014 the event raised in excess or £5000 for Home-Start Butser
- In 2015 the event raised in excess or £4000 for The Rosemary Foundation
- In 2016 the event raised in excess or £4000 for The Rosemary Foundation
- In 2017 the event raised in excess or £5000 for Fitzroy
For 2018 we have again chosen to support www.fitzroy.org Registered charity number 1011290
This is a demanding grade B Short Fell run with three steep ascents and descents of Butser Hill. Hopefully the weather on the day will be kind and give the runners the chance to enjoy the magnificent views of the surrounding countryside.
The event has a whole morning interschool Junior events ( 1k, 2k, 3k ) for School years 3 – 11 starting at 09:50
The approx 5 mile senior race starts at 12.30.
The course is run on the grassy slopes of Butser and provides a challenge even for the serious fell runner. The views across the countryside are stunning when you reach the north side of the hill.
The atmosphere is fun and friendly attracting a wide range of runners of all abilities. . The senior event of 5m attracts runners of all abilities. Last year’s eldest runner was 80 .
This race has been supported by Churchers College for some years now and the event would not be the success it is without them. . We are pleased to acknowledge the support of other sponsors - Fullers and MacDonald Oates LLP Solicitors . The generous assistance given by these sponsors plus the efforts of the runners will raise money for this year’s chosen charity
- Queen Elizabeth Country Park, (PO8 0QE), signed just off the A3 south of Petersfield
- Follow the signs for FREE Race Parking once off the A3 and into QECP. DO NOT park in the centre where you will have to pay.
There are not any results for this event yet - please check back later.
Sorry, there are no reviews for this event.